Last week we talked about why a mission statement is critical to your income, strategic direction and happiness. It’s one piece most small business owners often forget about. But it’s not just having a mission statement that matters. It’s also the process of sitting down and figuring out (and consistently revisiting) what’s important to you and your business that will propel you forward.
What exactly do you do? Who are your target customers? How do you help them? And what makes your business unique (that is, why should your customers choose you)?
To help you answer these questions, we’ve rounded up 25 of the best mission statement examples from iconic brands big and small to get your creative juices flowing.
25 Mission Statements You’ll Never Forget
- Laura Lee Creative, photographer and business consultant: To give people the tools and business systems they need so they can stop sacrificing their life for the sake of being a business owner.
- Emilie Steinmann, Copywriter: To support serious CEOs in their quest to gain loyal customers and naturally increase their bottom line by writing captivating copy.
- Tea Drops: We create magical tea moments that connect you to what’s important. Whether that be connecting to your friends, community, or even yourself.
- Nike mission statement: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world. *If you have a body, you are an athlete.
- Apple mission statement: Apple’s more than 100,000 employees are dedicated to making the best products on earth, and to leaving the world better than we found it.
- NASA mission statement: Drive advances in science, technology, aeronautics, and space exploration to enhance knowledge, education, innovation, economic vitality and stewardship of Earth
- Cultivate What Matters: Our mission is to encourage community and provide accountability to help women take action on their meaningful goals. We are better together, friends. Our mission is to help each other cultivate what matters. Powerful goals change lives.
- Stefani Jessica Studio, website designer and developer: Our mission is simple: Through websites that are as unique as your brand, we create immersive and interactive sites that bring your business to life.
- Google mission statement: Organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
- Starbucks mission statement: To inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
- Target mission statement: We make Target our guests’ preferred shopping destination by delivering outstanding value, continuous innovation and an exceptional guest experience—consistently fulfilling our Expect More. Pay Less.® brand promise.
- Coca Cola mission statement: To refresh the world in mind, body and spirit. To inspire moments of optimism and happiness through our brands and actions.
- Christina Scalera, Attorney: Our mission is to preserve and improve the special relationships you work so hard to cultivate as an entrepreneur. We believe a solid definition of these relationships through contracts sets a trustworthy foundation, no matter how much or little experience you have.
- Amazon mission statement: To be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices.
- Microsoft mission statement: Our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
- Adobe mission statement: Only Adobe gives everyone — from emerging artists to global brands — everything they need to design and deliver exceptional digital experiences.
- Southwest mission statement: The mission of Southwest Airlines is dedication to the highest quality of customer service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and company spirit.
- Candice Coppola, small business coach: Encouraging creative entrepreneurs to live and work on purpose.
- Squarespace: Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed.
- InVision: Good design is good for business.
- Disney mission statement: To be one of the world’s leading producers and providers of entertainment and information. Using our portfolio of brands to differentiate our content, services and consumer products, we seek to develop the most creative, innovative and profitable entertainment experiences and related products in the world.
- HoneyBook: Empower the creative economy to rise together, doing what they love.
- Johnson & Johnson: Our mission is to make diversity & inclusion our way of doing business. We will advance our culture of belonging where open hearts and minds combine to unleash the potential of the brilliant mix of people in every corner of Johnson & Johnson.
- Etsy mission statement: Our mission is to Keep Commerce Human. People make Etsy possible. We provide a meaningful space for sellers to turn their creative passions into opportunity. We enable buyers to discover unique items made with care. And we treat our employees and our community with respect. We’re here because the world needs less of the same and more of the special.
- Jenna Kutcher, marketing entrepreneur and photographer: To help others own their awesome and do what they love every darn day!
Why They Work
These mission statement examples stand out from the crowd by including the hallmarks of an impactful mission statement. Check out our handy checklist of mission statement dos and don’ts to make sure your mission statement passes the test.
Need a Mission Statement?
Create your own with our free mission statement generator. It’s fast, free and easy. Just follow the prompts (fill-in-the-blank style) and our handy tool will create a unique mission statement just for you.