As creative entrepreneurs and freelancers, we work hard and pour ourselves into our work. Over time, little short cuts to get more out of the day like eating frozen pizza for dinner, skipping a workout, or having an extra glass of wine can add up and take a toll on your wellness and mental health. It is important to take care of yourself so you can be your best for yourself and for your clients.
Here are six easy self care tips you can start doing today.
- Meditation is a wonderful way to calm an anxious mind, re-focus, and feel refreshed. As little as five minutes a day can make a huge difference in how you feel. Meditation doesn’t have to be structured, planned out, or led by a live person. There are apps for your phone (such as Simple Habit and Headspace) that make it easy to get started and meditate anywhere.
- Eating well is essential to taking care of yourself. Don’t skip meals, even when you are tempted to by a fast approaching deadline. Be sure to include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your meals. Don’t drink too much soda or alcohol. Instead, opt for tea or water with a cucumber in it. Meal subscription services such as GreenChef and SunBasket make it easy to quickly cook delicious and healthy meals at home, without spending time grocery shopping.
- Regular exercise has many benefits. Exercise gets your blood pumping, burns calories, takes your mind off of work, increases your energy during the day and helps you sleep better at night. A bonus of exercising outside in the sun is getting vitamin D from the sun. Even if you can’t squeeze in a full work out each day, a ten minute walk around the block is a great way to get away from your computer, take in fresh air, and clear your mind.
- A good night of sleep can have a tremendous impact on your day, focus and overall well being. Going to bed at the same time each night and waking up at the same time each morning will help you wake up more easily and feel less tired. When you have a good night of sleep you feel ready for the day, are more creative, more focused, and will do your best work for your clients.
- A gratitude journal is the perfect place to jot down your thoughts for the day, reflect on what brought you joy, and be grateful for the big and small things in your life. Acknowledging the positive pieces of your day and life is very powerful for mental wellness and self-care.
- Spend time with your friends and family that bring you joy. As creative entrepreneurs and freelancers, we are often at our computer for hours alone and work at home. People are social creatures. Interacting with other people helps to stimulate new ideas, build relationships and feel part of a community. Be sure to make time in your schedule to spend with your friends and family that uplift you and make you feel good. Going to dinner or a hike together is a great way to turn off work and spend time together.
Want easy and fun ideas for self care and to recharge? Check out my free printable list of 25 ways to recharge.
Want to learn more about how to incorporate self care routines into your daily life and thrive in your business as a result? Get our Ultimate Guide to Self Care here.
Plus, 5 more posts you might like: