These people aren’t just any visitors, though; they’re your potential customers. You have an opportunity to welcome them warmly and graciously, and you’ll want to make them feel comfortable. How would you greet a welcomed visitor to your home? What would you say? What would you offer them? As you read the rest of the post, I invite you to envision yourself welcoming your ideal customer to your house, and consider how you would engage with them. Consider this simple visualization as you read the following tips and suggestions of how to draft your About page.
Once you have identified who you’re addressing, you can think about how you want to connect with them. What do you think is important for them to know about you? How can you engage them? What questions does your visitor have? How can you answer their questions and address their concerns? By doing this you can build trust, establish a rapport, and make your customer feel heard and understood. Simply put: you have them in a place that feels comfortable.
and inspired by the craftsmanship of Indian artisans? Did your grandmother’s cooking inspire you to start a cafe? Did witnessing a friend’s health challenge motivate you to work in the wellness field? Spend some time reflecting on how it is you got to where you are, and then share some of that on your About page. By including more of your story and your inspiration, you show your reader that you are passionate about your business, you may have shared values with your customer, and, most importantly, that you’re a real person. your visitor then becomes more invested in your story and interested in your brand.
- What do I really want to get across to my customer?
- Why am I saying what I’m saying?What is the point of my message?
- Why is this important to me? Why is this important to my customer?
- How would I describe my work I do to a friend?
- How would I want my customer to describe my work I do to their friend?
- What kinds of experiences (challenging, rewarding, inspiring) have lead me to do this work, providing these services, or creating this product?
- What keeps me motivated to do the work I do?
- What do I want my customer to do once they’re done reading this page?
- How do I want my customer to feel after reading this page?
- Are you just getting started in writing your About page?
- Do you already have an About page?
- If so, what would you consider changing, if anything, to make it more welcoming to your visitor?